- This event has passed.
LGBT Night at Dodger Stadium
June 9, 2017 @ 5:30 pm - 11:00 pm
DODGERS TO HOST FIFTH ANNUAL LGBT NIGHT JUNE 9 AT DODGER STADIUM
LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles Dodgers today announced that they will play host to their fifth annual LGBT Night at Dodger Stadium on Friday, June 9 (vs. CIN, 7:10 p.m.). A special event ticket package that includes a game ticket for the Dodgers’ June 9 game and an exclusive Dodger LGBT Tee Shirt (image attached) is available for purchase now exclusively by visiting www.dodgers.com/LGBT.
For the first time ever, the Dodgers have partnered with LA Pride (www.lapride.org) and will host the official 2017 LA Pride kickoff party at Dodger Stadium beginning at 5:30 p.m. in the Right Field Plaza Bar and lasting until first pitch at 7:10 p.m. Produced by non-profit organization Christopher Street West, LA Pride is Southern California’s biggest LGBTQ+ celebration, with the annual Festival taking place in West Hollywood June 10-11. The annual Festival celebrates the LGBTQ+ community through music, art and culture along with community activations and signature events.
LGBT Night at Dodger Stadium will feature a ceremonial first pitch by Golden Globe Award winning actor Matt Bomer. Bomer has been married to publicist Simon Halls since 2011, and the couple has three sons, including a set of twins. In 2012, Bomer was given an Inspiration Award for his work at the GLSEN Awards. He is an LGBT rights activist.
Other scheduled special guests June 9 include Billy Bean (Major League Baseball Vice President & Special Assistant to the Commissioner), Brian Pendleton (founder of #ResistMarch), who will also throw out a first pitch, actor Noah Galvin (best known for his role as Kenny O’Neal on the ABC sitcom The Real O’Neals) actor Guillermo Diaz (currently starring as Huck in the ABC series Scandal) and Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo, best known for being plaintiffs in the landmark case that wound its way to the Supreme Court of the United States successfully overturning Prop. 8 and restoring marriage equality to California. Katami and Zarrillo can be heard weekly on their popular radio show/podcast “The Husbands” on iTunes and UBNradio.com.
The Dodgers will also recognize several athletes, coaches and people who work or participate in the amateur or professional sports industry as featured on Outsports.com. Outsports.com is a sports news website focusing on LGBT issues and personalities in amateur and professional sports.
The national anthem will be performed by Dot Marie Jones. Jones received three consecutive Emmy® Award nominations (2011, 2012, 2013) for her role as football coach ‘Shannon Beiste’ on FOX’s megahit television show Glee. A retired athlete, Jones attended California State University Fresno. Most recently Dot has appeared in major and recurring roles on Modern Family, Jane The Virgin, 2 Broke Girls, Teachers and Doubt. She is currently being pursued for a couple high profile features and is looking forward to her next big venture. She is an impassioned supporter of charities that empower children and teach acceptance. Accompanying Jones will be members of the Gay Men’s Chorus and Trans Chorus of Los Angeles. The Gay Men’s Chorus and Trans Chorus of Los Angeles uses musical experiences to share stories, fostering acceptance and transforming communities into places where all can be their true authentic selves.
“We are once again proud to work with so many incredible partners for our fifth annual LGBT Night at Dodger Stadium,” said Dodgers’ Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer Lon Rosen. “We are especially excited to partner with LA Pride for the first time ever. The Dodgers, with a proud history of diversity, recognize the value of an inclusive environment.”
The Dodgers will welcome back many partners for this special night, including:
- The Sports Equality Foundation, focused on empowering LGBT athletes, coaches and sports leaders as they come out and work for inclusion and acceptance across sports at all levels.
- VARSITY GAY LEAGUE (V.G.L.). V.G.L., proudly celebrating 10 years of providing activities to the LGBT community. With thousands of members, V.G.L. is committed to connecting players of all ages and skill levels, gay or straight, with new ways to socialize and play. A pre-game kickball game with select members of V.G.L. will occur prior to the baseball game.
- The Greater Los Angeles Softball Association (GLASA). GLASA is a gay and lesbian slow-pitch softball league committed to providing an opportunity for both gay and non-gay participants to compete in an environment conducive to the gay community.
- GYM Sportsbar, the first and only gay sports bar in Los Angeles.
- The Sin City Shootout Sports Festival, the largest annual LGBT sporting event in the world, with over 8,500 participants and 23 different sports together for competitive fun on and off the field.
LGBT Night on June 9 will also include Friday Night Fireworks presented by Denny’s and for the third consecutive year, music by George Figares and DJ Blacklow (Jeremy Blacklow). Fans are invited on the field immediately following the game for the fireworks show.
For more information, please visit www.dodgers.com/LGBT.